The most important part of a building is the foundation. The foundation is responsible for connecting the building to the ground and bears the entire load of the structure itself.
The two main types of foundations are deep foundations or shallow foundations.
Things To Keep In Mind For A Good Foundation:
The design and the construction of a well-performing foundation must possess some basic requirements that must not be ignored.
A well performing foundation must consist of these fundamental requirements and should not be taken lightly.
- The design and the construction of the foundation is done such that it can sustain as well as transmit all loads to the soil. This transfer has to be carried out without resulting in any form of settlement that can result in any form of stability issues for the structure.
- The design and construction of the foundation must sustain and transmit all loads to the soil and must take into account any forms of settlement which could result in future stability issues.
- A rigid base for the foundation will help to avoid differential settlements. This will become more pronounced in areas where the loads are not uniform in nature.
- A deeper foundation can help guard from issues such as shrinkage and swelling due to temperature changes and other natural phenomena.
- The location of the foundation must be carefully planned out so that it is not influenced by future works or factors.